Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Display environment variable not set

• anmol07
      Subscriber

Hi all,

Recently, I am not being able to submit fluent jobs on the supercomputer. Every time I try to submit the job, the scheduler returns this error:

Warning:  DISPLAY environment variable is not set.
        Graphics and GUI will not operate correctly
        without this being set properly.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you
    • JakeC
      Ansys Employee

Hi anmol07,

How are you submitting the job?  Are these batch jobs, or are you trying to run a distributed interactive job?

That warning may have no effect on your results.  It simply means that the job is trying utilize graphics on machines that do not have any.

If you are trying to run an interactive job, you will need to set the DISPLAY environment variable on the cluster to point back to (most likely) your local machine.

Your IT/Cluster department should be able to help you with that.

Thank you,

Jake

• anmol07
      Subscriber

Hi Jake,

Thank you so much for your reply. I submit batch jobs to the supercomputer and later download the data files to view results. I never ran simulations in the interactive mode. It is now that I have started receiving this error and my job gets rejected. Can you recommend any settings on fluent that I can do to avoid this error? Or is there something wrong with the fluent installed on the cluster? 

Thank you

Best,

Anmol

• JakeC
      Ansys Employee

Hi anmol07,

You can try running with the -g switch on the command line that you are using to submit your job.

This means "no graphics"

Since this is just a warning, and possibly not the final error, can you send screenshots of any other messages you are getting from your scheduler?

When you say the job is being rejected, what do you mean exactly?  What messages are you seeing to hint at that?

Thank you,

Jake

• anmol07
      Subscriber

Hi Jake,

This is the exact error I am getting in my output file:

"/sw/ansys-18/v180/fluent/fluent18.0.0/bin/fluent -r18.0.0 2ddp -t 112 -cnf=n2303,n2304,n2305,n2306 -mpirun /gscratch/stf/anmol07/Soot/journal_JSRjou1

Warning:  DISPLAY environment variable is not set.

Graphics and GUI will not operate correctly

without this being set properly.

/sw/ansys-18/v180/fluent/fluent18.0.0/cortex/lnamd64/cortex.18.0.0 -f fluent -mpirun /gscratch/stf/anmol07/Soot/journal_JSRjou1 (fluent "2ddp -pmpi-auto-selected  -host -r18.0.0 -t112 -mpi=ibmmpi -cnf=n2303,n2304,n2305,n2306 -path/sw/ansys-18/v180/fluent -ssh")

fluent: cannot connect to X server "

After this error, the simulation stops and the cluster doesn't proceed further with my job. 

Thank you

Regards,

Anmol

• JakeC
      Ansys Employee

Hi Anmol07,

It looks like your project wants to use the graphics for something.

Can you please try the -g switch and see what happens?

Also be sure there isn't anything in your journal file that would require the editor or graphics.

I'm guessing that your compute nodes on the cluster do not have an xserver running on them.

That means that on the compute nodes, you will need to set the DISPLAY environment variable back to your machine.  Please talk to your IT/Cluster Administrators to get that set up properly.

Thank you,

Jake

• sprabhak
      Subscriber
      Hello, nWhat is the environment variable for Fluent on linux machine?nRegardsn
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.