Fluids

Fluids

Do I need to consider gravity effects while studying the FSI of an aircraft wing?

• El_Manguangua
      Subscriber

Hey, I hope you are all doing great, just as the title says, I was wondering, within the context of a Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI) simulation in ANSYS, if I need to consider the weight of the aircraft as well as the weight of the air while they're interacting. I've seen people neglecting these effects and I've been told by other people that I should neglect these effects myself.

In the case of air, I actually get it, since it has low density, it may actually not have an important effect, but in the wing structure case, I just do not see why self-weight should be neglected since there is some "static deformation" given exclusively by this static force, what do you say?

I get that adding gravity effects may enlarge simulation time, but isn't it worth it?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      It depends. Are you running the study to understand the concept or to design an aeroplane? If you run a static structural case how much flex do you predict?
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.