June 12, 2021 at 5:59 amAkhileshCSubscriber
In my results both force as well as displacement has shown convergence and contact results are also good. So, do I further have to do mesh refinement in order to get a stable value of maximum stress or just the convergence in residuals is enough?June 12, 2021 at 1:20 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriberYes, a nonlinear analysis will converge to produce the maximum stress for that mesh size.
You have to do a series of smaller element sizes around the location of maximum stress to plot the maximum stress vs. element size to know that you have captured the "true" stress.
Note that most finite element models contain stress singularities, and some of those models have the singularity at the point of maximum stress. If that is the case in your model, you will find that there is no convergence of stress with element size, even though each analysis converged on force and displacement during the solution. If that happens, the model needs some more work.
Please reply with some images of your results.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Colors and Mesh Display
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
Top Rated Tags
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.