General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Does fixing(support) an edge of a solid behave similar to weld or pinned connection?

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi All,

Does fixing(support) an edge of a solid behave similar to weld or pinned connection? Weld is provided around the edges of yellow plate. what's the best way to model this weld? i am not studying the weld. i just want to provide a batten(yellow plate) that is fillet welded to two black members. Batten will reduce the buckling length of black members and prevent buckling in certain direction.

Regards,

Sam  

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Sam,

One method is to use Bonded Contact between the face of the yellow part (Target side) and each face of the two black parts (Contact side).

Regards,
      Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

i don't have full contact. yellow plate is only welded around its edges to black members. So do you agree we don't have bonded contact because the surfaces are not welded together?

Regards,

Sam

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Sam,

You said you are not concerned about the weld stress and that the connection between the three parts was important to control buckling. The deformation response at the ends of the black parts would have no significant difference between a quick and easy, face-to-face Bonded Contact, and a detailed weld bead on the edges of the yellow part because the size of the yellow part is so much smaller than the black parts.

If the yellow part was almost as tall as the black parts, then I would agree that it would be important to make a connection only on the edges of the yellow part and not the entire face, but for the image you showed, I think face-to-face bonded contact is acceptable.  In the case for a relatively tall yellow part (or shorter black parts), you can still use Bonded Contact, just make it from the edge faces of the yellow part to the face of the black parts. You will have to use the pinball radius and type a value larger than the thickness of the yellow part. Then connection elements will bond the entire thickness of the yellow part to the black face.

Regards,
      Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

I agree with you. Thank you Peter!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.