Photonics

Photonics

Does Lumerical support modelling X-Ray Reflectivity experiments?

Tagged: ,

• UniversityStudent
      Subscriber

I am new to the Lumerical Software suite and had some time to try the free trial but I noticed that trying to model at very small wavelengths is not really supported. The premise would be modelling a source with wavelength of 0.5 Angstroms at 25 keV and seeing what is reflected off a film of a few nanometers in width. Would a problem like this be computationally possible or do I need to explore different softwares?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      FDTD is a discrete method and its mesh is based on the wavelength. It can easily handle dimensions in dozens of the wavelength. For order of hundreds, it is doable but may be challenge, depending on the fine geometry vs wavelength. It solves the Maxwell Equations. As long as the physics can be described by Maxwell equations, in principle it can simulate.
      Lumerical FDTD is well designed for photonics, but it can be extended to GHz, MHz, as well as PHz, EHz etc , and users have the correct material data. The current Material Database is mainly for photonics.
      I would suggest that you try a few devices using the default settings except you know what must be modified, such as material and boundary conditions. then check the memory requirement. Please let us know if you have questions.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.