Fluids

Fluids

DPM particle tracking

• pnvk95
      Subscriber
      Hi everyone.   I am trying to simulate the motion of SiC particles in an air filled enclosure in FLUENT. The left and right walls are at 373 K and 273 K respectively and top and bottom walls are adiabatic. Natural convection with just air is behaving fine but I am not able to insert the particles into my enclosure. I want them to be already present in the enclosure at t=0. The particles need to be one way coupled with air and will move as air rotates in the enclosure. I want to perform particle tracking in the Lagrangian frame after different intervals of time. Please help me with how to add 1000 particles with a random initial distribution and zero initial velocity in the enclosure without having to inject them.   Thank you!
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

You can use file injection. You can check following in help manual. 

23.3.12. Point Properties for File Injections

Regards,

Keyur

• seeta gunti
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

In fluent DPM, particle initial conditions can be read from an external file. The file has following form:

((x y z u v w diameter temperature mass-flow) name ) and file should have extension of .inj

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Moving to fluid dynamics thread.

• pnvk95
      Subscriber

Thank you! That solved it. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Glad that it solved your issue. 

Regards,

Keyur

• taosif_alam
      Subscriber
      Hi! I am trying to read an unsteady injection file in *.inj file format, such as:n(( x y z u v w diameter temperature parcel-mass mass n-in-parcle time flow-time) name((0.010557907 0.015812291 0.0t0.0 0.0 0.0 0.00001t300.0t0.000000011624t0.000000011624t1.0t0.0t0.0)tstream-0nnBut, every time I try to read the file. It shows an error Error: CAR: invalid argument [1]: wrong type [not a pair]nI have also attached an example file in .txt format as .nArraythat I want to read in fluent. Can anyone give any suggestion how to get it done?.
    • taosif_alam
      Subscriber
      Complete error is suchnError: CAR: invalid argument [1]: wrong type [not a pair]nError Object: namenImporting the following injections:nnError: CAR: invalid argument [1]: wrong type [not a pair]nError Object: namen
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Try stream0 and check against the documentation to see if the header line is needed. n
    • taosif_alam
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob!nI have checked with the documentation and other online cfd sources; they have suggested to use the header. I have changed the name of the header to stream0. Still showing same type of error.nError: CAR: invalid argument [1]: wrong type [not a pair]nError Object: stream0nImporting the following injections:nnError: CAR: invalid argument [1]: wrong type [not a pair]nError Object: stream0n
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      To get the right format make a dummy DPM sample in dummy case and use that as layout. The documentation clearly describes what is required and spot the differences between unsteady and steady file injection.n
    • taosif_alam
      Subscriber
      Thanks for your suggestion, DrAmine. I have tried both dummy steady and unsteady file injection following the documentation. But, every time it comes out with the same error. I am using Ansys 2020 student version. I am wondering if I can read files in this student version. Do I need to setup some other things before reading injection files in fluent?n
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.