Fluids

Fluids

Drop Size Distribution by Rosin-Rammler Distribution

• mrglobetrotter
      Subscriber

Hello everybody

I would like to calculate the drop size distribution of a spray by a RR-Distribution without any experimental data and measurements. This means, I can only use the values from different equations.

Since I have two unknown values (q and X), I'm looking for two equations to calculate them and continue with calculating SMD, MMD, Dmax, etc. Does anybody have a hint or a clue, how I could reach that and how the two equations should look like? 

I also do know the equations of Merrington & Richardson and Harmon. These enable calculating SMD only.

For all your help I thank you very much in advance! 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

Please check articles regarding Weibull distribution. By means of Mean Size and variance you can then get the shape factor and scale parameter (using the Gamma function).

A.

• mrglobetrotter
      Subscriber

Hi,

Please check articles regarding Weibull distribution. By means of Mean Size and variance you can then get the shape factor and scale parameter (using the Gamma function).

A.

Hi, thank you for your answer!

What about when I do not have any Mean Size, how can I evaluate q and X (or other scalar sizes)?

Best regards

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

Then make an educated guess by using the most probable diameter. Check for the most stable diameter in turbulent flows (following a stability criterion ) or just try to match mass flow rate or any other integral things.

A.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.