Fluids

Fluids

E-E multiphase model setup

• max10gong
      Subscriber

I want to model high speed gas jet (air jet ~450 m/s) impinging on a multi-layer liquid pool. One liquid's density is ~5000 kg/m3 and other's one is ~1500 kg/m3. I want to apply Eulerian multiphase model. I have following quaries in this regard:

1. In momentum equation, is that okay to consider only drag force to exchange the momentum between the phases (neglect the lift force, virtual mass force and turbulent dissipation force)?

2. Is that appropriate to apply the mixture turbulent model in this case?

Please suggest.

Regards,
      Max.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Yes, but carefully read what each model does. Basically, the more you turn on the more accurate the model will be, but if the effects are negligable the computational cost isn't worth it. 

Read the documentation. If you apply a high speed gas jet, is the liquid turbulence going to be similar?  

Note, at 450m/s is the jet supersonic? Which density model are you using for the gas, and which turbulence model (and why)?

• max10gong
      Subscriber

The gas is suersonic. I am using imcompressible ideal gas law as I am using pressure based solver. Mixture k-epsilon turbulence model is using as this model accurately predicts the turbulence far from the wall.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If the gas jet is supersonic the gas density is also a function of pressure: you'll need ideal gas. It's generally recommended to use compressible gas over about 0.3M  Pressure based solver is good to 2-3M and higher if set up carefully. 

How well do you expect k-e to capture the jet?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.