Fluids

Fluids

Eddy Dissipation Concept (EDC) for combustion

• cehangir
      Subscriber

Hi 

I am working on coal combustion. I have already simulated a model based on Eddy dissipation/Finite rate (ED/FR) for coal combustion. 

Now, I want to compare the eddy dissipation concept (EDC) using detailed chemistry. Can someone provide me any guideline how to start off with EDC, I am not able to find any tutorials on EDC. 

• klu
      Ansys Employee

Hi 

Please take a look at a demo video below.

• cehangir
      Subscriber

Thanks for the demo.

However, I am trying to find a tutorial/demo/example for the EDC (eddy dissipation concept) that can provide me how to include the detailed chemistry. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

There is no standard official EDC tutorial which can be shared. On the ANSYS Learning Hub there are some actual dedicated workshops. Here we need a training subscription.

• cehangir
      Subscriber

Can you provide me some steps how I can initialize EDC.

From what I have gathered from different sources, I have understood the following:

1. in order to have a good initial guess, I should run the simulation using ED/FR till it converges. 

2. Change the TCI from ED/FR to EDC.

3. Import the chemkin mechanism. 

4. Set ISAT parameters 

I will really appreacite if I can get any advice on it. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It's not an area that I'm too familiar with, but please try the steps you've mentioned and let the community know how you get on. 

• cehangir
      Subscriber

thanks for the input. I will try that and will update on the thread. 

In the meantime, I will really appreciate if there is any suggestions from student community. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Yes the solution strategy is fine. Just you might elaborate a bit on URFS and be patient.

• cehangir
      Subscriber

Thank you for the motivation. 

Since I am using coal as a fuel, EDM considers volatile to be a Global reaction (CxHyOz). When I set the model for EDC, how do I divide the volatiles released to its constituent products (CH4, CmHn, H2). 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Start from more sophisticated Model with TCI allowing for intIntermediate species
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Is your problem solved? If yes please mark this topic as solved. If not please create a new topic with fresh input. 

• seeta gunti
      Ansys Employee

Solution strategy is given in our theory guide. section 14.1.8.6

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.