Fluids

Fluids

Edge named selections not appearing in Fluent meshing

• piggh18
      Subscriber

I am currently running a 3D transient simulation with dynamic overset mesh in the middle the domain. I would like to extract x-y plot data of vertical pressure gradient along the corner edge of my object of interest (this object oscillates about a fixed axis). To do this, I figure I could make a named-selection of the edge and set up the simulation to save pressure gradient x-y data every x timesteps. When I create the named selection in spaceclaim then export to Fluent meshing, the edge named selection does not appear under any selection options. I tried this with other edges and it appears that none of them show up in Fluent or Fluent meshing. Besides this I can setup and run the simulation. I am just not sure why the named-selections aren't appearing.

Even when I import the geometry, the named-selections show up in the console under "NamedCollections" but I can't seem to find them anywhere else.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need any more additional information.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Fluent doesn't understand "edges" in that way. Only surface and volume labels will be retained. The best option will be to split a layer/row of cells out in Fluent and report on those. 

• piggh18
        Subscriber

Hi, Rob. Thanks for the response! Could you explain how I would go about splitting a layer/row of cells in Fluent to report on? Or maybe point out some documentation on the subject? In the meantime, I will look on my own.

Thanks again!!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Create a register (Adaption tools) and then use the Separate>Faces in the Zones section of the Domain tab. 

• piggh18
        Subscriber

Hi, Rob, I was able to separate a cell zone off of the surface of interest but this resulted in warnings from fluent saying that this action would affect my overset and dynamic meshing. The surface of interest is used with the 6dof solver. Is there a way to create the cell zone without affecting the original cell zone?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You should be able to split the surface only. You may then need to alter the dynamic mesh to include the new surface. With overset there shouldn't be any remeshing other than to update the position of the overset component. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.