March 13, 2021 at 1:02 amGuanhui WangAnsys EmployeeIs there any easy two calculate effective refractive index for an structure?nfor example, imagine we have a layer of gold that is containing randomly sized and randomly dispersed cavities inside it, so we can define an effective refractive index for whole medium.n
March 13, 2021 at 1:03 amGuanhui WangAnsys EmployeeEffective index can be defined for a mode. Depending on the mode profile/frequency, you can obtain different effective index for the modes. If the waveguide cross section is uniform, you can use MODE/FDE or port object in FDTD to calculate the effective index of the mode.nAnother option would be to find the field profile of the resonant mode, and then use the equation below to calculate the effective index:nwhere n is the material index, and z is the unit vector perpendicular to the surface of the cavity. The calculations will be similar to the scripts that we have for mode volume:nhttps://kb.lumerical.com/layout_analysis_model_volume.html 69n
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.