Electronics

Electronics

Electrostatic pull-in/collapse states for MEMS structure

• Yasmine
      Subscriber

Dear all,

I am new to Ansys workbench and Maxwell. Can I please ask for help with electrostatic pull-in simulation for MEMS switch in the workbench? Because my structure has to use floating potential condition, Maxwell is the best option for me so far. Please let me know if I can apply this boundary condition in APDL 😀 (I have read both "Coupled-field analysis guide" and "MEMS Multiphysics simulation in Ansys workbench " tutorial, but nothing about floating potential condition there).

I can get deflection results from my simulation by using Maxwell and static structural analysis systems. However, my structure cannot simulate pull-in/collapse states. I have been told to use a two-way interaction method, like FSI (fluid structure interaction) tutorial, to transfer data between Maxwell and Transient structural in order to have "snaps down" mode. However, there is a Maxwell system coupling issue since my solution type for Maxwell is electrostatic. I believe that system coupling has limited support for Maxwell as shown in the following picture (not able to connect system coupling setup cell to Maxwell).

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello Please take a look at this tutorial that uses System Coupling between Steady State Maxwell & Transient Mechanical (thermal). Please see if this answers your question.
      https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/sysc_tut/sysc_tut_coilcore_mech.html
      Karthik
    • Yasmine
      Subscriber
      Dear Karthik Thanks for your help! I have tried to follow the attached tutorial, but I am now facing one problem.
      I could not find System Coupling Setup option after clicking Optimetrics. I have found that Maxwell does not support system coupling for some Solution Types, such as Electrostatic (which I am currently using). It seems to be a dead end to me to use system coupling method to simulate electrostatic pull-in/collapse states while applying floating potential boundary condition for MEMS structures.
      I was wondering if you could please give me some other ideas to solve this "pull-in" question?
      Thank you!
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hi Could you please share a screenshot of your WB set-up and connections? Could you also share a screenshot of optimetrics in Maxwell?
      I'm surprised that System Coupling option does not show up for you.
      Karthik
    • Yasmine
      Subscriber
      Dear Karthik Yes, I have attached screenshots below. This is my currently WB connections. I want to connect Maxwell 3D to System Coupling.
      I have tried to use different Maxwell Solution Type's (both Electrostatic and Eddy Current). As shown below, I can find System Coupling Setup in EddyCurrent, but not in Electrostatic.

Thank you!
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.