General Mechanical

General Mechanical

EMATWRITE was working well, now it suddenly isn’t. Mechanical APDL issues…Please help!!!

• IwanBroodryk
      Subscriber

I need to extract the dense element matrices from my model. I've been using EMATWRITE and DMAT with success. I haven't changed anything and suddenly APDL will not write out the stiffness matrices to the "file.emat".

See attached image of error message.

• Vigneswaran Sridharan
      Ansys Employee
      Hey Could you post the snapshot of the error message again? The rules are that we aren't supposed to download attachments on the Forum.
      Vigneswaran
      Ansys Help
      Rules & Guidelines ÔÇö Ansys Learning Forum

• IwanBroodryk
      Subscriber

• IwanBroodryk
      Subscriber
      Fails to read because it does not exist. In the past the File.emat was generated in the analysis directory, and the DMAT command was used to recover all 64 stiffness values for a given element (here for a 2D plane stress element, PLANE182)
    • Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

It may be happening that you are solving analysis somewhere else and the File.emat is not getting copied. It also may happen that if the size of File.emat exceeds the physical disk space on your system then the file may not get copied. Please see if this is the case.

Regards Ashish Khemka
    • IwanBroodryk
      Subscriber
      From what I can tell, the analysis is being performed in the native analysis directory. It is also where the File.emat has been created before in the past. Where else would the file be created? How do I determine the location of another analysis directory?

The File.emat should not exceed the physical disk space, I have plenty and the model is small. Is it possible that there is a setting somewhere that causes the file to be appended every time I run a job (not overwritten)? I would imagine it gets cleared out before every job. If not, then it might be a disk space issue and I need to find the excessively large file and clear it out.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.