Photonics

Photonics

S-parameters

    • Fatemeh
      Subscriber

      Hello,

      In a structure, for example, the spot size converter example, when S21 is 0.27. Which means 27% of the power goes to the output. Assuming the input power is 1 W, what happens to the remaining 73% of the power? Where does it go?

      Thanks

    • Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee

      Hi Fatemeh,

       

      This model is based on the FDTD spot size converter simulation result, and since it's a spot size converter, I belive most of the loss are radiation loss due to the mode size change. 

    • Fatemeh
      Subscriber

      Hi Guanhui,

      Thanks so much for your reply. Regarding radiation loss, does it mean the power will radiate into the air? Or, it will go into the cladding and substrate (if there is cladding for example, in other structures)?

      Thanks

       

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.