Fluids

Fluids

Enabling Multiphase Model (VOF)

• Vassili BRIODEAU
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I am running ANSYS 18.2 Student edition.

As a beginner, I train and would like to simulate the discharge of a fluid in another. This is basically the same situation as the one from Raef.Kobeissi, but with two different fluids, meaning the discharge of CO2 in a air for instance. I managed to do the tutorial with one fluid (air):

I first tried to divide the zone in two and add an interface. However, it seems that the interface allows heat tranfer but no mass flow. I observe a heat transfer through convection, but no discharge. As far as I understood, one needs to use a multiphase flow, probably a Volume of Fluid (VOF), but this is not accessible to me. I can only have access to wet steam simulation. I saw that peteroznewman posted in 17 January 2018

2-way FSI such as the above example, requires System Coupling, which is not included in  the Student license.

Is this the reason why I cannot have access to this? If this is the case, how can I manage the discharge of CO2 in air?

Regards

• Vassili BRIODEAU
      Subscriber

Up: is it possible to enable VOF in ANSYS Student? If yes, how?

Regards

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Yes, you can enable VOF in ANSYS Student.

Raef has some tutorials on VOF that are not 2-way FSI.

• Vassili BRIODEAU
      Subscriber

Thank you peteroznewman for your response.

I know this panel, yet in my version I cannot check this: only "Off" and "Wet steam" is available. I thought it is a license bug, as my result viewer does not work too, but in v18.2 and v19 I have the same problem.

Where does it come from? How to enable it?

Regards,

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

It is a flaw in your installation. I am running ANSYS Student 18.2 and have those options.

You will have to uninstall ANSYS. Then delete two folders: in Windows Explorer, type %AppData% in the path field. You will be in the Roaming directory. Delete the Ansys folder, then go up a level and down to the Local directory and delete that Ansys folder too.

Delete any ANSYS folders in Program Files folder.

After uninstalling all ANSYS, manually use regedit to delete:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareANSYS

• HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareANSYS, Inc.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREANSYS, Inc.

Restart your computer. If you can turn off your anti-virus during the installation, that may help.

After you have unzipped the Student media to a folder in the C: drive, find setup.exe in the ANSYS install folder and right click and "Run as adminstrator".

• Vassili BRIODEAU
      Subscriber

Yes, it works. However, it did not solve my license problem with the Results post processor. It works the first time and then asks for a license. i will check in the topics before going further.

Thanks a lot!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

ANSYS sometimes complains it can't find a license server right after I start it for the first time. I just ignore it and keep going and the program works anyway.

• Vassili BRIODEAU
      Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. I cannot ignore it, otherwise it closes the programm. However, this is a different issue than this topic, so I will post in another topic.

Regards,

• Sayantan Biswas
      Subscriber

Sir I,m facing the same problem only "Wet Steam Model" is showing.. I will follow the steps that you had mention earlier but just one question, is it mandatory to install Ansys 18.2 in C Drive? ( "..unzipped the Student media to a folder in the C: drive" ) My laptop doesn't have enough space in C drive so had installed in F Drive. 

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber

Once you finish solving your problem n Fluent make sure you save it, close Fluent and then open cfdpost and it should work. You may not be able to run 2 tasks together (Fluent and cfdpost)

cheers

• emsmt
      Subscriber

I'm also using the student version (19.1) and and only have multiphase options except of wet steam when turning on pressure-based under general options.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      And What is your issue? Wet steam is available for density based solver.
    • Luther87
      Subscriber
      I want to simulate the flow of air plus particles of dust plus water moisture in a cyclone particle separator, which I recommend, help!
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.