Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Enforcing constant element size / uniformity in simple 2D mesh

• massey95
      Subscriber

Hello,

Sadly I have spent lots of time searching and attempting many things to obtain a uniform, consistent mesh but to no avail.

Context:

I have created the geometry below representing a simple rectangular weld with multiple slices. In geometry (spaceclaim) I have set share topology to 'share'.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      The elements are close enough to ideal. You should get on with the analysis.
    • massey95
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the response! I agree for analysis purposes the mesh is obviously fine - so anyone else looking in should take this advice and move on.
      However, I am actually extracting centroid data using APDL commands for a range of analyses and then reconstructing the mesh on MATLAB. Having skewed elements, results in irregular centroid coordinates which in turn makes life unneccessarily complicated.

For now I have modified the geometry to have each slice split horizontally, which results in a more uniform mesh. I was just hoping that Workbench would allow me to create a uniform mesh. I think the lesson going forward may be to lean towards APDL if using Ansys which provides greater control over each stage of the process.

Thanks for your help! If anyone else is aware of how to achieve greater control over mesh uniformity please let me know.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.