General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Entering non-linearity for Molded Pulp Product material (non-linear)

• NAVID SALAM
      Subscriber

I would like to run drop tests (dynamic stress tests) and static stress test simulations on packaging parts of different geometries made of a cardboard material called Molded Pulp Product. This material is not found in the Ansys Material Library, and I would like to import the nonlinear characteristics of this material. I understand that I have to use the plasticity tab in the Ansys software. Still, I am not sure which function to import data from my excel file containing the stress-strain results from compressive and tensile tests for this material. Any recommendations on what constants and disclaimers I should make?

• John Doyle
      Ansys Employee

I am not familiar with molded pulp product. The stress and strain values that you show are very small.  If the loading in your application is pure tension, and you are not trying to simulate failure, perhaps you could use the hyperelastic response function.  You might also be able to use a multlinear elastic option via MAPDL commands (TB,MELAS).  Refer to Section 4.6 of the MAPDL Material Reference guide.  If you understand what is driving the nonlinear behavior and you have the mathematical formulas that represent this, perhaps you could write your own UPF routine.  

Certainly, whichever path you chose.  You have to validate/calibrate the approach carefully.

• John Doyle
      Ansys Employee

Correction to above post:  For MELAS, ref to Section 4.16, not 4.6.

• NAVID SALAM
      Subscriber

Hi John, what do you suggest if we are dealing with compression? and where can i learn more about the UPF routine

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.