Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Error after updating software: FDTD simulation using a lot of memory

• vildemarireinertsen
      Subscriber

Hi, 

I recently installed the R2.3 version of FDTD and after that the software has not worked properly. As far as I can tell, the simulation requires several GB to run or to save the results and my computer cannot handle it. I am running simulation that are identical to simulations that I have already done with the former versions, but now they are acting up. Before the update the file-size of the .fsp-file was 559 kB (after running the simulation), but after the update it is 13.5 GB. The only thing I have changed in the simualtion is the material. I have tried to unsintall Lumerical and install it again, but nothing changed. I might have not uninstalled it properly because after reinstalling it, it remembered my licence information and my recently opened files.

Do you know what the problem can be, and how it can be fixed?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

From your description, it seems it does not mean the installation has anything wrong. To test if it is due to  new version or installation, please test your original file withut changing the material. If you change a PEC to metal with heavy loss, the memory can be significantly more. 

You can also test a simple example such as this one: Creating line plots of far field projections and check the memory.

Please write post in the Photonics Forum which is faster to get answered:  https://forum.ansys.com/forums/forum/discuss-simulation/photonics/

• vildemarireinertsen
      Subscriber

Thank you for the answer. I will just add this for reference in case somone else has the same problem. I had another look at the "check memory estimation"-part and, to me, it seems like the new version treats disabled monitors etc as enabled because I could se them in the detailed list in the memory estimation and the memory estimation decreased when I deleted monitors that I had set as disabled. The large amount of memory required came from the disabled monitors which where index and advanced absorption monitors. 

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

Noted this issue and it should be solved soon. Thank you!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.