Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Error at the Results – High varation of Stiffness within materials

• andrefpitt
      Subscriber

Hi Forum, I hope you are well.

I have been trying to analyse a quite simple supported 2D Beam however with a quite consider a variation of the stiffness and thickness of the materials.

As the photo below shows, it's kind of a flitch beam (sandwich beam) where the top and bottom is an 18mm thk and E=28GPa with the middle material behaving as a 300mm thk Foam (E=0.15). Both materials have Poisson's ratio of 0.2 and 0.3 respectively.

Both extremities have a 25mm thk steel support and a distributed load of 1.5Mpa acting at the top flange.

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Andre,nnFor static/steady-state the pivot error is an error because we can't solve a singular matrix. Please see if proper constraints are applied to the bodies to constraint the motopn in X, Y and Z directions.nIt looks that you have applied fixed supports at the two ends but are all the bodies have shared topology? I meant to ask if they are connected.nRegards,nAshish Khemkan
    • SaiD
      Ansys Employee
      Hi,nBased on the second error message:A solver pivot warning has been detected in the UY degree of freedom ..., it looks like rigid body motion has not been constrained in y-direction. Applying the appropriate boundary conditions should help that.nnSainn
    • andrefpitt
      Subscriber
      Hi nThank you both for the support,nI've shared the faces in SPC and added a frictioneless support on the rear face of the element. The analysis ran without errors, thank you!nn
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.