General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Error cutting shell model

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

I am trying to wrap 2-D shell lattice around wing of an airplane. However, after wrapping the shell, I have problem with cutting it using selected planes. Please see the attached images for clarification. Any suggestion? 

Thanks,

Bashir

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Bashir,

It is not clear how you plan on cutting it or why?

I don't see any intersection of the plane and the wing?

FYI, you can also use the Combine tool to cut bodies.

Regards,

Sandeep

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Please see the attached for updated image. The reason for cutting these shells by certain plain is to clean out the sides of these shells after wrapping them around the wing and making them aligned properly along that plane. 

Thanks,

Bashir

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

By the way, I tried both features, split body and combine. Non of them worked for me. The error message is "Unable to cut body".

Thanks,

Bashir

• Rahul Kumbhar
      Ansys Employee

Hi Bashir,

Please check the geometry for any corruption. Locate he body in structure tree, right click on it >> select 'Check Geometry'. This should show if there is any issue.

Regards

Rahul

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Bashir, If I understand this correctly are you trying to cut the airfoil vertically?

Is the wing completely joined even at the trailing edge? 

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Sandeep,

Yes I was trying to cut the wing vertically to make sure that all bodies, wing and two layers of shells, are collinear. Anyway, I realized that switching between DM and SpaceClaim causes some vertexes issues.

I am expecting that the meshing issue that I face is due to the way that share topology constructed between certain faces. Would you please explain to me how to use share topology for selected bodies in SpaceClaim? I am using ANSYS R17.2   

Thanks,

Bashir  

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Bashir,

Please see this post by Peter.

Also, please see this example and this help article.

Regards,

Sandeep

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.