General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Error during transient thermal and static structural analysis

• baltej
      Subscriber

I am getting the following error time and again during a transient thermal analysis with material properties changing with temperature, followed by a static structural analysis. Can someone help me with this?

"The reference temperature for the thermal expansion coefficient differs from the reference temperature of one or more bodies. The data will be adjusted to have a zero thermal strain at the reference temperature of each body. If the number of temperature points is sparse this could cause invalid values to be used for calculations. The recommendation is to have the same reference temperature on the bodies as the thermal expansion coefficient's reference temperature in Engineering Data or a dense number of temperature points."

• TimH
      Subscriber

I assume that you defined a material by yourself. By doing this, you have do define a "Zero-Thermal-Strain Reference Temperature", at which the thermal expansion of the material is zero. If this self defined "Zero-Thermal-Strain Reference Temperature" differs from the initial temperature defined in your thermal analysis and/or from the initial temperature in the static structural analysis, this error occurs. You just have to change the initial temperatures in both analysis so that it fits your self defined "Zero-Thermal-Strain Reference Temperature".

• baltej
      Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. You are right. However, I have already tried that. 

Initial temperature in both the analyses is equal to 'Zero-Thermal-Strain Reference Temperature' in material properties. 

However, I still get this error when I start the static-structural analysis. 

• TimH
      Subscriber

Ok, I had the same problem before but got it under control somehow. But now ANSYS WB 17.2 delivers the same error again. Maybe someone else can help?!

• TimH
      Subscriber

In ANSYS WB 18.2 there is an additional Property in Engineering Data called Material Field Variables. Here you can define the materials standard temperature which leads to the absence of the error. If you are annoyed by the error and have the chance to change to the 18.2 version, this would be the easiest solution.

• hsfyah
      Subscriber
      Hi there! Recently I have the same problem as . nI change the Material Field Variables to 20C the same as the Zero Thermal Strain Reference Temperature = 20C.nI also changed my initial temperature to 20C, but the warning message is still appearing. nCurrently, I'm doing a Static Structural + Steady-State Thermal. Will the warning has any effect on my simulation?.Thanks in advance!n
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.