Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Error for Q3D on Windows 7 machine, ANSYS 2020 R1

• sarafs
      Subscriber

Our lab has two PCs with ANSYS licenses and on one PC the Q3D analysis works, and on the other the Q3D analysis doesn't work. Hopefully this narrows down the problem. The computer which it works on is a Win10 machine. The computer which it does not work on is a Win7 machine.

On both computers I am able to render a Q3D design but on the Windows 7 machne, when I do Setup->Analyze the solver immediately aborts and I get the message that I should contact the ANSYS support (see attached screengrab). This problem persists even when I load one of the standard example designs for Q3D (see attached screengrab viamodel.PNG). I found this example design in this folder: 

C:Program FilesAnsysEMAnsysEM20.1Win64ExamplesQ3D Extractor

My question is: Does Q3D not work on Windows 7?

• ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee
      Technically Windows 7 is not supported with 20.1. Could you please paste the screenshot into a message, rather than attaching? We are not permitted to download attachments. Could you also please let me know if this was working on this machine previously? Please also go to Tools -> Options -> General Options -> General -> Directories and paste a screenshot of that screen?
    • sarafs
      Subscriber

• sarafs
      Subscriber

• sarafs
      Subscriber
      thanks so much for your reply. We had never attempted to use Q3Dextractor on this machine before now. HFSS and Maxwell3D work fine.
    • ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee
      Is this the basic via_gsg example project, or have you made modifications to it before attempting to solve? If you've made modifications, please try solving just the example as is, without modifying any of the project settings.
    • sarafs
      Subscriber
      It is the basic via_gsg project with no modifications whatsoever made to it.
    • ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee
      Can you try changing the Temp directory in your Tools -> Options -> General Options -> General -> Directories to something like C:\Temp, and make sure you have a C:\Temp and see if that has any impact?
    • sarafs
      Subscriber
      when I did this, the same error shown in the screenshot above persisted.
    • ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee
      Did you exit AEDT and restart it after making the change?
    • ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee
      You may also try updating your graphics driver from the vendor's website and rebooting the machine.
    • sarafs
      Subscriber
      Yes I just tried that and the error persisted.
    • sarafs
      Subscriber
      I don't think its the graphics driver because it is up to date.
    • ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee
      This issue could well be related to Windows 7 which isn't supported. I'd recommend trying to run on a supported platform such as Windows 10. You can find our platform support information here: https://www.ansys.com/it-solutions/platform-support

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.