November 10, 2022 at 12:35 pmPulak RaySubscriber
Please see the below messages. These are errors coming out while trying a FSI simulation of flow through a flexible pipe.
1. Update failed for the Solution component in System Coupling. The coupled update for system Fluid Flow (Fluent) threw an exception. Update Solution Failed
2. (DP 0) Poor intersection was identified between the source and target. This error check is triggered when the mapping fraction for both source and target are below the threshold set by MappingControl/PoorIntersectionThreshold (currently 0.5). Please review the mapping details written to the folder 'Results_PoorIntersection' in Ensight for potential setup issues. It may also be helpful to (a) increase the Absolute or Relative Gap Tolerance (if the interfaces are separated) or (b) change Face Alignment (if the interface mesh normals are inward-directed or if there are shell elements). You can deactivate this check with MappingControl/StopIfPoorIntersection. Please do not save the project if you would like to recover to the last saved state.
Kindly help me with this.
Thanks in advance.
November 11, 2022 at 9:33 amRahul MuleAnsys Employee
- Please check fluent transcript file (.trn) to check what is causing issue.
- It seems like mapping is not happening properly. Please review 'mesh statistics' and 'mapping summary' in system coupling log file (scLog.scl).
Please refer the best practices to setup system coupling project. Best Practices for System Coupling (ansys.com)
Hope this helps!
December 5, 2022 at 12:47 pmAlexandre CarvalhoSubscriber
Did you manage to find a solution for this problem? I have the same issue when trying to run a FSI simulation, even after defining connections in SpaceClaim and creating a homogeneous mesh transition between the source/target.
Thanks in advance.
December 6, 2022 at 10:45 amRahul MuleAnsys Employee
*PoorIntersectionThreshold (setting) defines the threshold at which the system coupling stops if the intersection between the coupling interfaces is low. In that case, improve the mapping by adjusting the interfaces or if you wants to continue with that disable intersection check with setting *StopIfPoorIntersection (setting).
Please refer MappingControl (singleton) (ansys.com) for more information.
December 6, 2022 at 12:50 pmAlexandre CarvalhoSubscriber
I've kept the coupled surfaces in fluent defined as walls (default), should they be defines as interfaces instead? I thought the dynamic mesh zone set to system coupling was enough to couple the simulation correctly. I have also tried to keep a conformal mesh.
December 6, 2022 at 12:55 pmRahul MuleAnsys Employee
I recommend going over this tutorial in the Ansys documentation that shows a 2-way FSI simulation with Fluent and Mechanical to understand the setup of FSI cases. https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v221/en/sysc_tut/sysc_tut_reedvalve_fluent.html
December 8, 2022 at 2:06 amAlexandre CarvalhoSubscriber
After further investigation, I saw that Mapped Area [%] for both source and target are at 0, even after defining the Fluid-Solid Interface in Mechanical and Dynamic Mesh in Fluent. Are there any other steps to creating the coupling other than defining those surfaces?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Suppress Fluent to open with GUI while performing in journal file
- Heat transfer coefficient
- What are the differences between CFX and Fluent?
- Floating point exception in Fluent
- The solver failed with a non-zero exit code of : 2
- Getting graph and tabular data from result in workbench mechanical
- Difference between K-epsilon and K-omega Turbulence Model
- Time Step Size and Courant Number
- Mesh Interfaces in ANSYS FLUENT
- error in cfd post
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.