Fluids

Fluids

Error in Making Setup for Ansys Fluent

• hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber

Hi

I try to run a simulation through Asnys Fluent and it gives error at Set-up step. Here is the procedure I have taken:

Analysis Systems --- Fluid Flow --- Fluent

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello:
      Have you changed the analysis from 3D (which is the default) to 2D in WorkBench?
      Select "Geometry", right-click, and select properties. Please see if this helps.
      Karthik

• hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Hi
      thanks for the respond, yes I have done that, I explained in the post my procedure.
      i am not sure if this is relevant but in order to run ansys on my computer, i need to connect remotely to the college server to get the license.
      Best
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello:
      Are you able to open Meshing? Do you see any error when you open the mesh?
      Karthik
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Hi
      no error in the meshing process
      thanks
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Another quick question - do you see this issue when you attempt to launch Fluent on any generic model? A quick test would be to open a fresh WB instance and set up a simple pipe flow simulation from scratch. Are you able to launch Fluent when you do this?
      Karthik
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Hi
      I am going to set up a simulation using DM. Meanwhile could you tell me, Fluid Flow (CFX) should exist in "Analysis Systems"?
      Thanks
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Hi
      I made an example: Flat Plate Boundary Layer
      Below is the DM drawing:
      then Mesh:
      when I click on set-up, same message came up!!!
      Thanks
      Hamid

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello:
      Instead of attaching your screenshots, please paste them directly into your post. Ansys employees are unable to download attachments on this Forum.
      Regarding your other question - Yes, you should see CFX under analysis systems. You should also see it under Components on WB.
      Karthik
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Design Modeler
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Can you launch Fluent from the Start menu? If there isn't an icon please refer to the "standalone" thread at the top of the page.
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Yes I have done that before and i did not work Rob. There is something interesting in the standalone pass, you mentioned in another discussion the path below:
      C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\v212\fluent\ntbin\win64\fluent.exe" -r21.2.0 -shortcut
      Our technician also give me the same instructions to do , in the path there is a folder V212
      but what I have is V221

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You may need to change the path - 2021R2 is V212, 2022R1 is V221.
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      ohh, thanks Rob
      regarding to section

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You've meshed the metal bit. That's fine for Mechanical, but we're interested in where the fluid goes in CFD.
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      thanks Rob, this comes back to my original question, I do not know how to mesh the fluid instead of solid
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You need to use volume extraction or the like in CAD or SpaceClaim. Basically, we want the geometry volume to be the volume inside the casing. Make sure you assign labels (named selections) to the inlet and outlet faces.
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      You need to extract the Fluid region corresponding to the solid geometry. Have you done this already? If so, can you see this region in Ansys Meshing?
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Hi
      no, is there a link or video that I can watch
      thanks
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      There are probably some tips in the Help parts of SpaceClaim. Where did the geometry come from?
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Solidworks as a step file
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you know how to use Solidworks do the volume extraction there: we want the fluid region. In CFD we only model the solids if we need to include the heat transfer effects.
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      Thanks, Rob I watched a video exactly mentioned what just you said
      Best
    • hamiddehkordi
      Subscriber
      thank you so much, it helped
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.