General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Error regarding the solver engine being unable to converge on a solution?

• Srinjoy Gupta
      Subscriber

Hi, I am getting multiple errors with regard to my static structural model when I try to switch auto time off and divide it into substeps. Although, I have been able to solve the same problem for other geometries using substeps. The following are the warnings

• The solution failed to solve completely at all time points. Restart points are available to continue the analysis. 
      • The unconverged solution (identified as Substep 999999) is output for analysis debug purposes. Results at this time should not be used for any other purpose.
      • Although the solution failed to solve completely at all time points, partial results at some points have been able to be solved.  Refer to Troubleshooting in the Help System for more details.
      • The user defined result might not be calculated successfully wholly or in some areas.
            There are some elements (or nodes) which do not contain
            data for the expression in: 144 = MESH_ELEMENT_QUALITY

Note that the result data may not be contained in the result file
            or may not be applicable to some element types.
            Also note that the solver module can create elements,
            such as surface effect or interface elements,
            whose results cannot currently be scoped in a contour display or may not be applicable to some element types. Also note that the solver module can create elements,such as surface effect or interface elements, whose results cannot currently be scoped in a contour display.

I attaching the screenshot of the geometry and mesh along with the solver output.  Solution Output

• Srinjoy Gupta
      Subscriber

• Manish Dubey
      Ansys Employee

What is the error message in Solver output file? Could you please check the same in Solution Information under Solution?

• Srinjoy Gupta
      Subscriber

Hi Manish, I was able to resolve the above issue, there was some misconception about material properties. But more importantly, I have an urgent query. Say, I have a soil mass which is in its initial state ( zero deformation under gravity load using INISTATE command) in the first Load step, I am trying to then insert a pile now to that block, how will I change a portion of soil mass to that pile in the second Load step. The mpchg command seems to be unable to change material properties from linear to nonlinear, or from one nonlinear option to another as per most previous forum discussions, considering the pile has only isotropic linear properties and soil is modelled as per mohr column criteria (plastic). some screenshots of geometry are attached.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.