Installation and Licensing

Installation and Licensing

Error trying to solve with research license

• jarrett.wise
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have been running a simulation with 559,995 elements and 782,941 nodes.  The simulation has been running and recently it has started crashing with the error on , and all of a sudden it shows up with the error on "Your product license has numerical problem size limits, you have exceeded these problem size limits and the solver cannot proceed."

I have tried refreshing the geometry and clearing the results data, but the error keeps coming up all of a sudden.

I am using the university research license with ANSYS 17.0.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Jarrett,

It sounds like an ANSYS Student license was installed at some point on that computer.  You can't have both a Research license and a Student license on the same machine.  Uninstall any ANSYS Student license if you can.  If that doesn't work, there are various house cleaning operations to do before you reinstall ANSYS 17.0

Regards,
      Peter

• jarrett.wise
      Subscriber

Thank you for the quick reply Peter.  The licenses for ANSYS are on a server for the university.  I haven't had this problem before, but I didn't know if this could happen since IT recently acquired a newer license and put it on the server?  Attached is a screenshot of the license manager.  

Thanks again for the response,

Jarrett

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Jarrett,

I see that you have one Research license and one Academic Teaching license for Mechanical and CFD.

What happened to you is that the Research license was in use when you opened your model and tried to solve. ANSYS checked out the Academic Teaching license, which does have a Node and Element limit, and that is the error you got.

Next time you want to solve the big mesh, first check the status of the license by going to All Programs > ANSYS 17.0 > ANSYS Client Licensing > Clent ANSLIC_ADMIN Utility 17.0

When that program opens, select View Status > View the License Status. There will be a list of all the licenses and whether they are in use or not.   For example you might see:

Users of ansys:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

or

Users of ansys:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 1 licenses in use)

followed by the userid and computer name that is using that license.

Cheers,

Peter

• jarrett.wise
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter.  That helps a lot. 

I have one last question of a problem I am having with this simulation.  I am using the element birth and death technique.  Is there a code to add to APDL when turning the selected elements back on such that they are strain free?  I have an initial stress with them in the alive command, but the resulting stress pattern is slightly off and we believe it is due to the strain in the elements from being removed and then added back in next to elements that already have a stress pattern.

Thanks for your expertise.

Thanks,

Jarrett

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Jarrett,

I don't have a lot of experience with element birth and death and the alive command. Copy and paste that paragraph into a new discussion in the Structural Mechanics section.

One more point to add to the license issue above is once you open Mechanical, the license it checked out is included in the title bar of the window. That is an easy way to confirm that you didn't get the Academic Teaching license.

Cheers,

Peter

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.