General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Error when finished system coupling iteration

• Simon95
      Subscriber

HI,

I have just finished a system coupling simulation. The project has written the fluent .dat and .cas files. And the results can be visualized in transient structural. However, when I go to the workbench it turns out that he is still busy updating the solution. I cannot save or close it, it stays on this screen without being able to click on anything, not even minimize it. I add a photo. I don´t know what is going on.

What can cause this? And how can I fix and save it?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

can you please insert a zoomed in image of the error. 

can you please do a quick test on a simple case and check if you can save it. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• Simon95
      Subscriber

HI Kkanade,

There is no error message, it stays like this for a lot of time. I have done other projects and I can save them all. However, I don´t know why I can´t save this one. Maybe is still updating solution, because is a projectthat cost around 30h of simulation, but i think this is too much time for this. I don´t know that I can do.

• Nyurons
      Subscriber

Hi Simon95,

I had a similar issue recently. Although I got "System coupling run coupled successfully", the progress was stuck and busy like the photo you posted. I also waited for at least 6 hours overnight but it was still busy.

After quitting the Workbench using Windows Task Manager, I had to rework the dynamic meshing since I forgot to save the file before system coupling. But this time I changed the step size from 0.005s to 0.01s. The "stuck issue" was somehow fixed after these actions. 

Having to use System Coupling for the first time, I do not know the cause or what helped solve this issue, but I hope that what I have experienced can help you somehow. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Thank you Nyurons for pitching in. 

Simon95, can you please try what Nyurons has suggested. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• Simon95
      Subscriber

Hi Nyurons, 

I don´t know why this error appears. My project have a 1s total time and 0,005s each time step. I have done other project with 0,005 s time step, but total time up to 0,65s and i have had no problems at all. Could you tell me your total time when you had this error? 

I will try to change to 0,01s time step, but i am afraid this does not allow me to see the phenomen I am studyng (flutter).

Thank you

• Nyurons
      Subscriber

Hi Simon95,

My project's end time was (and still is) set to 1s.

While I am still a beginner in ANSYS, I wonder what would happen if the total time was shortened to values like 0.01s or 0.1s while keeping the step size to 0.005s or 0.01s? If the software still gets stuck at "System coupling run completed successfully", could it mean that the step size or the total time is not the cause of this "stuck issue"? Just a food for thought...please don't feel the need to answer this question

• Simon95
      Subscriber

Hi Nyurons, 

I have done a new projetc with a 0,005s time step and 0,875s total time and it finished succesfully without being stucked. I think that the problem is because it was a large simulation of 1s and cost more than 50h to simulate it. So you can try to do the project with a total time fewer than 1s, and keeping 0,005s as time step. I hope this could help you. 

Best regards

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.