3D Design

3D Design

Error while importing Geometry from SpaceClaim or .stl file in DesignModeller

• FlamingWizard
      Subscriber

Whenever I try to import Geometry from SpaceClaim or from .stl file generated through Catia V5-6R2017 in Design Modeller, I am facing following PlugIn Error

Design Modeller states that it is unable to import Geometry due to Plug-In error.

I tried reinstalling software, rechecked file, tried archiving and even changed save location but to no help.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

Are you able to open SpaceClaim and Design Modeler?

Can you please create simple box geometry in SC or DM and then open Model?

Which version you are using? Can you please try R19.1?

If you have STL file, usually we import in SC. STL is faceted data. In SC we convert it to solid geometry as you can see at following link. Then we use this geometry further. 

http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Solutions/ReverseEngineering.aspx

Regards,

Keyur

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Dear Wizard,

Are you creating solid models in Catia? If you want to transfer solid geometry from Catia to ANSYS DesignModeler or SpaceClaim, you should not choose STL as the neutral file.  Try exporting Parasolid or STEP neutral files from Catia to import into DM or open in SC.

Regards,

Peter

• FlamingWizard
      Subscriber

Hello there,

Thanks for replying.

Yes I am able to open SpaceClaim and Design Modeller. The design is just a 2D profile of a rectangular plate of 1mX2m. The particular design is for Steady State Thermal Analysis. I followed all the instructions shown in videos.

I tried this on Version 19.0, 19.1 and 19.2

Geometry

Meshing

I am pursuing a course in EdX on Hands on Introduction to Engineering Simulations conducted by Cornell with Ansys.

• FlamingWizard
      Subscriber

Hi @peteroznewman thanks for replying

I tried exporting the geometry as STEP file. I am using Catia V5-R2017 student version and it is showing .stpZ as  one of the options apart from IGES and STL.

The result is still the same. Still showing PlugIn error "Can't import geometry".

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Wiz,

The .stpZ file is a compressed STEP file that ANSYS doesn't know how to open.
      You can install the free 7-zip archive manager that can uncompress the .stpZ file into a normal (uncompressed) .stp file.
      Once you have the .stp file, SpaceClaim will be able to open it. 

However, I agree with Keyur's comment below that you can draw that shape very quickly from scratch in SpaceClaim.

Regards,

Peter

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

Can you please follow steps in tutorial first. Please create geometry in SpaceClaim and move to meshing. Let us know if this gives problem. 

These are very simple steps in SpaceClaim. You may not require CATIA for the same. 

Regards,

Keyur

• Bunmio26
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I have imported a CAD DXF file into Workbench (Fluid Flow Fluent) and the green tick shows in geometry. 

When I click on mesh, I get the following error message:

I will greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I have ANSYS 19.2 installed.

Thanks,

Bunmi

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I'm not sure which CAD readers come with Student: also dxf isn't a great format for transferring data. In the short term use STEP  (no reader required and safer than IGES). What happens if you open DM? Can you see the CAD?

• sathya
      Subscriber

Hi,

From my experience,I would suggest you to export using PARASOLID format because  DesignModeler uses PARASOLID geometry modeling kernel  ,while SpaceClaim uses the ACIS  geometry modeling kernel.

Prefer PARASOLID to keep data loss minimal in DM.

• michaelemery14
      Subscriber

I'm struggling with a similar issue, I have a series of 2D aerofoils that I need to capture the Cl from and I have all of them in the SpaceClaim format, as soon as I try and import them using DesignModeler it doesn't work. I've tried changing them to STEP files, PARASOLID but nothing seems to be recognised by DM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Mike

• michaelemery14
      Subscriber

Not to worry, I've solved it. The aerofoils had to be a filled 2D surface to import them into DM, I hope I've helped other newbie's at this easy but frustrating problem!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

vidhan, please start a New Discussion to post your question and delete the post above.

In the New Discussion, insert an image of your geometry and describe it in more detail.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.