Electronics

Electronics

Evaluating total current on a plane in Maxwell

• Saransh
      Subscriber

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to calculate the total current coming out of a plane in Maxwell, but the best I could get so far is the current density plot over the plane of interest. Visually, this does help to get some intuition but when I want to do some calculations, I need the EXACT total current coming out of the plane and not just the current density plot. Could someone please help me with this?

Many thanks

• mgardner
      Subscriber

One way to accomplish this would be to use the Fields Calculator.  (Right click on "Field Overlays" in the Project Manager Menu and then click on the Calculator.)  Then, you can take the appropriate scalar component of the J Quantity and integrate it over the plane.  To access the result, you can create fields report and find the expression you created under the Calculator Expressions.  (Note that to actually be able to access the results you will need to make sure that you are saving the fields solutions.)

Depending on your geometry another possible approach (for a transient simulation) might be to create a winding with the plane as the only coil terminal in the winding.  Then you can assign a zero voltage excitation to the winding and plot the current in the winding.

• Saransh
      Subscriber

Thanks so much!

I got the current values that I was looking for from the first method that you described. This was indeed very helpful

For those referring to this question, first I added the J_vector in the stack, then took the Z component of it, then added the plane over which I was interested to calculate the total current in Z, and finally performed the integration! Hope this helps. 

• Escobar8
      Subscriber

can you please let me know how can i install maxwell on linux?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.