Fluids

Fluids

Export ASCII data in Parallel mode

• jscsgh
      Subscriber

Hiya, I was planning to export temperature ASCII data on each node. In serial mode, the exported data are good without any problem. However, when I switched to parallel mode, some zero value start to appear. Is it something to do with the partition during the parallel mode, where the zero value are obtained on the boundaries between different blocks? It would be great if this problem can be solved, since serial mode is a bit slow for calculation with a big domain. 

Many thanks in advance!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It's been reported before, https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/issues-running-fluent-across-multiple-cores/  

One solution (while we figure out what isn't working) is to run the model in parallel and then use a journal to read & export ASCII in serial afterwards. 

• jscsgh
        Subscriber

Dear Rob, 

Many thanks for your reply. I just tried once again. It seems that when exporting cell data, the results seem OK. However, when I switched to node data, 0 value start to appear. 

Could you please expand the explanation on "use a journal to read & export ASCII in serial afterwards". I am using GUI, dose it mean that first I run the whole simulation and save the .data file for each time step in parallel. And afterwards I load each .data seperately in serial then export ASCII data. 

Or, you mean something else by "use a journal to read & export ASCII in serial afterwards". 

Again, many thanks for your time!

Best regards

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Run in parallel as you are now and save case & data at sensible intervals. Then use Fluent in serial and run a journal to read, export, read export etc.  However, if cell data is behaving that may be a better approach. 

• jscsgh
        Subscriber

Dear Rob, 

Many thanks for your reply. Never used journal before. I will try to implement journal to read data and export the information I need in in serial. Again, many thanks! If I have further questions, I will let you know. Cheers!

Best regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.