Electronics

Electronics

Exporting Results from a Plane – Ansys Maxwell

• mega_kai2
      Subscriber

I have a question related to the exportation of results for the magnetic field in Ansys Maxwell (B-field in my case). Although it is possible to draw a plane and place individual markers to find the B-field at each point, and possible to create a polyline and find (using the fields report) the B-field along points in the polyline, I was wondering if it was possible to find such a solution for the plane.

i.e. You can only create a fields report when selecting a line as the “geometry”,  and it will generate the results (of the B-field) evenly distributed across the line, but you cannot do so for a plane. Similarly, there is the functionality to place individual markers across a plane and export the results from those individual markers, but no easy way to create a grid of results. (I think using the fields calculator to do so works, but wondering if there's a more intuitive method)

• Peter Serano
      Ansys Employee

How do you envision this plot looking? The standard field report is only 2D so there would be no way to plot the data vs. position for another dimension that forms the plane.

I would recommend using the Field Calculator to export the field data onto a grid of your choice. To export data from a single plane you would just enter the same value for the start and end points for one of the axes. You can then plot the data using Matlab [for example using plot3() or scatter3()] in a way you find more useful for your analysis.

Best,

Peter

• mchristi
      Ansys Employee

Both scalar and vector field quantities on a plane can be written out (to a text file) using the “Export” button in the calculator for coordinate systems: Cartesian, Cylindrical, or Spherical.  For planes not with respect to the Global Coordinate System, move or rotate the geometry prior to solving. Dimensions in the exported file are reported in meters regardless of the drawing units. 

Please reference Maxwell online help topic: “Export Command”.

• mega_kai2
      Subscriber

Thanks for the replies,

I'll have a look at the fields calculator. I think that helps solve my needs!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.