General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Extracting acceleration from different locations

• YounesHB
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I am new to ANSYS. I started working with ANSYS two weeks ago. I searched a lot (youtube, google, and here) about the thing that I am looking for and couldn't find a solution. Here is my problem:

I simulated a cantilever beam in ANSYS. I want to excite this beam either from the base (fixed-end) or with a hammering pulse at the free end. I want to extract the time histories of acceleration response of the structure for example for 5 different points of it and analyze them. My next goal is to also build the model in the lab and put accelerometers on the aforementioned locations to verify the results. I would appreciate a lot if you can help me with this problem. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Younes

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Younes,

What kind of test equipment do you have access to?

Do you have a Modal Hammer?  That means a hammer with a built-in Force sensor.  If you don't have a lab that has a Modal Hammer, you can rent one.

Do you have a shaker table?  That is what you would use for base excitation. If you don't have a lab that has a shaker table, you can rent one.

Regards,
      Peter

• YounesHB
      Subscriber

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have access to a Modal Hammer and somehow not to a shaker table but do have access to a shaker which can be used as a shaker table. I can connect it to the end of my beam and shake it. I also have accelerometers to extract accelerations from the experimental model. However, the only thing that I need to do is extracting the accelerations from my numerical model. I did use the Transient Structural part of the ANSYS and could shake it. But, it gives me two directional acceleration time histories, maximum and minimum values. I do not know these accelerations are related to which point of my beam? and if I want to extract some absolute accelerations for different locations, how should I do that?

In a nutshell, I want to shake the beam and extract the acceleration response of the structure from 5 more or less points on my beam.

Thank you again for your reply. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers,

Younes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.