September 12, 2019 at 3:25 pmAgriCFDSubscriber
currently I do a transient calculation (k-epsilon) on a fast rotating (3000rpm) mower unit. I only simulate one rotor.
Simulation is running for a few time steps (approx. 5-30, depending on the initial flow field). The residuals are high but very evenly. Then Epsilon residual starts vibrating. Then, suddenly I get a floating Point exeption, with the residuals always being below 1e-01.
Divergence detected in AMG solver: epsilon
Error at host: floating point exception
Error at Node 0: floating point exception
I found an area of extremly high turbulence variables (turbulent intensity: >1500%). I think this is the problematic area, but I dont know what to do. Can someone help me out with this Problem.
I tried a lot of Things:
- created a better mesh ()
- enlarged the fluid domain around the mower (with smaller Domain I had backflow and high turbulent viscosity ratio)
- reduced the relaxation factors
Possibly interesting: I did the same calculation with a rotational Speed of 300rpm and the Simulation is running without Problems. But even in this case the turbulence in the problematic areas is extreme (turb. intensity > 200%). Is there a possible reason for this?
September 12, 2019 at 4:32 pmDrAmineAnsys Employee
Better mesh with low aspect ration, lower skewness and low cell volume change. I won't touch anything else before ameliorating the grid in the areas where you think that is related to that. Just have a look into the areas where you high TVR, locate them and check the values of the mesh metrics.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Suppress Fluent to open with GUI while performing in journal file
- Floating point exception in Fluent
- What are the differences between CFX and Fluent?
- Heat transfer coefficient
- Getting graph and tabular data from result in workbench mechanical
- The solver failed with a non-zero exit code of : 2
- Difference between K-epsilon and K-omega Turbulence Model
- Time Step Size and Courant Number
- Mesh Interfaces in ANSYS FLUENT
- error in cfd post
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.