LS Dyna

LS Dyna

Failure results of composite materials modeled by Shell163 in Explicit Dynamic (classic-APDL)

• Sina.Dadashzadeh
      Subscriber

Hi all, 

I'm doing low-velocity impact on composite using explicit dynamic by APDL. To model my composite I used Shell163 and RMODIF command to lay-up it. 
      I want to get the failure results like Tsai-wu but I can't. May I ask you to guide me in applying the material model that can be able to see the failure modes?

Note: I tried FC commands but those ones seem to not working on Explicit Dynamic.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Sinad, orthotropic material failure model won't work with LS-DYNA in MAPDL.

You can try using LS Pre-Post or WB LS-DYNA using Command Snippets.

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Guidelines on the Student Community

• Sina.Dadashzadeh
      Subscriber

Dear @SandeepMedikonda, 
      I appreciate your kind consideration. 
      As I developed a code for my model, there is no way to change the software, Can I calculate the Tsai-Wu failure, using the stresses in local coordinates? 
      In this case, I should check all the nodes in all sub-steps.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Sinad, when you say a code for your model, I believe you are talking about your own material subroutine? If so, yes you can do that. Oftentimes, stresses are rotated into the local co-ordinate systems before they are sent into the material subroutine. So it should be fairly simple both in Autodyn or LS-DYNA (See *MAT_55).

Also, think about the post softening behavior? I've used a Weibull function in my work.

https://doi.org/10.1177/0892705717743291

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Sina.Dadashzadeh
      Subscriber

No, I directly used orthotropic material, by code I meant the whole model which is modeled parametrically for optimization purpose. 
      I agree with you that both LS-Dyna and Autodyn are more convenient to work with, but now, I don't have time to change the software so I'm going to use code to calculate the Tsai-Wu failure. Thank you so much for guiding me with my issue.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.