Fluids

Fluids

Fatal signal raised sig = SIGSEGV for a case with a moving mesh

• ankbecker
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I am running a 2D axisymmetric problem in fluent. Basically, it is a cylinder moving in a tube (similar to a train in a tunnel). To estimate the piston effect due to the movement in a stationary fluid, I have to build a case with a moving mesh. Here I've used a hex mesh and the layering technique. For simplicity, I started with a 2D model. Later the model will be adjusted to 3D.

Starting my case, I get the error message" Fatal signal raised sig = SIGSEGV" after approximately 500 time steps. I don't think that it is a RAM problem, as I am calculating on an HPC Cluster and the mesh is rather coarse. Further, I started a similar case with the same mesh, the same boundary conditions and UDF for the motion of the part (DEFINE_CG_MOTION). Only here the motion is defined slightly differently and this case runs beyond 500 time steps.

Any suggestions what the reason for the error might be?

Thank you in advance

Anna

• RK
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,
      Probably, the definition of the motion is wrong. It would be difficult diagnose and provide suggestions. Is there something that raises a flag when you see the Fluent transcript file before the crash?
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.