February 22, 2023 at 2:26 pmChinna DevarapuSubscriber
Hi, thanks in advance for your attention.
I am using FDTD 3D in Lumerical to model and analyze a Multi-Mode Interferometer coupler but the simulation stops for divergence when it is 60/70% of the total simulation time.
I have tried to change the mesh setting by using a dense mesh and a less dense mesh, or by increasing the distance of the boundaries in the simulation region but still same errors occur.
I will show some pictures about the setting and the structure implemented.
Thanks in advance for your availability.
February 23, 2023 at 7:14 pmGuilin SunAnsys Employee
Please do not specify the mesh size. Instead, switch back to the deault "auto non-mesh", and use mesh accuracy 2 for initial test. The override mesh seems too coarse for me. Please add another one, just round up the mesh size from its default values. If the geometry is not resolved by at least 2 meshes, decrease the mesh size.
Once it does not diverge, you can gradually increse the mesh accuracy to 3 or 4, and at the same time, increase the number of PML layers to 24, 48 or so. For higher mesh accuracy, you will need to use Custom PML with more PML layers.
I would suggest to always use the default settings with minor modifications such as round up the values if you do not have a specific reason to modify them.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.