Photonics

Photonics

FDTD Simulation of an MMI

Tagged: 

• CMC_Rhatt
      Subscriber

I have recently downloaded and acquired a trial license for the Lumerical suite and am interested in using the FDTD solver for simulating the wave propagation across a 1 x 2 MMI. Despite the fact that the accepted method for a simple structure such as an MMI is the EME solver, due to some experimental goals, I want to use and FDTD solver for such a device instead of the EME. Since there are no FDTD projects in the App gallery I was hoping I could get some advice from your support team on how to perform an FDTD sim on the MMI structure and/or perhaps receive a sample project therefor.

• Kyle
      Ansys Employee

While the EME solver would probably be more efficient for a basic MMI structure, as you mentioned, an FDTD simulation of an MMI shouldn't be too complicated. I think the best starting point would be the Y splitter example from the Application Gallery:
      The simulation methodology would be very similar to this example for an MMI, just with a different geometry. Create the MMI geometry with the basic geometry objects, and place ports on the input/output waveguides to act as mode sources and monitors. There are some tips for setting up the simulation objects on this page that should be helpful for you: Key FDTD Simulation Settings
      If you are a new user you might also find it useful to take a look at our online FDTD course first:
    • CMC_Rhatt
      Subscriber
      Hi KJohnson Thank you very much for taking the time and providing the detailed answer to my question. I'll follow the links you shared and give it a good try and get back with more questions if any. As for the course I am already enrolled in that so will take that in parallel with trying out the Y-Splitter example.

Regards Siamack
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.