General Mechanical

General Mechanical

FEA of Fir-Tree Blade-Disc Assembly

• JUDE MCGLYNN
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am relatively new to ANSYS so still learning the software and looking for some advice. I am running a static structural simulation of a Fir-Tree Blade-Disc assembly with a force acting in the y direction with a fixed support at the base. When adding a friction coefficient to the frictional contact I get the following messages:

"Contact status has experienced an abrupt change.  Check results carefully for possible contact separation."

"The unconverged solution (identified as Substep 999999) is output for analysis debug purposes. Results at this time should not be used for any other purpose."

"Although the solution failed to solve completely at all time points, partial results at some points have been able to be solved.  Refer to Troubleshooting in the Help System for more details."

"The solution failed to solve completely at all time points. Restart points are available to continue the analysis. "

"The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.  Please see the Troubleshooting section of the Help System for more information."

Please let me know of suggestions that could fix this error.

Cheers.

• Ankush Choudhary
      Subscriber

Hi Jude,

You might be facing convergence issues due to contacts. Please follow the below ANSYS video that will help you with contact-related issues.

• JUDE MCGLYNN
        Subscriber

Thanks for the quick reply Ankush,

I have used the contact tool and it does not alert any gaps in the geometry. The solutions run without the friction coefficient however once added the series of error messages appear.

• Ankush Choudhary
      Subscriber

Hi Jude,

I can't say much without seeing the model's settings. You may try to use a direct solver, and if the friction coefficient is greater than 0.2, you may try to use an unsymmetric solver. In addition, try to increase the number of substeps. If these fail, then try to use penalty-based contact and reduce the contact Normal Stiffness factor value, which will ease convergence.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.