Fluids

Fluids

FENSAP-ICE Fluent Remeshing Fail

• Deniz Kepez
      Subscriber

Hello, I am having trouble using Fluent remeshing after the ICE3D calculations are completed without errors. I am using a 2.5D mesh of an airfoil and for flow solutions FLUENT is used and converged without a problem. DROP3D is also working without problem. I am using FENSAP through workbench. You can see the error I get below:

The requirements for 2.5D grid remeshing are ensured. (Z=0 for a symmetry BC, symmetry boundaries are set to 4300 and material point is very close to trailing edge and at mid-span.) I couldnt figure out what is wrong here. Thanks in advance!

• RK
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

It could be that certain env variables needed for Fluent are not set. 

Can you please switch to the native FENSAP GUI to icing analysis and see if it works? 

• Deniz Kepez
      Subscriber

This is what happens if I use FENSAP native client to run the fluent remeshing. I dont remember messing with environment variables. Is there a way to go back to default env variables?

• Shoaib Shah
      Ansys Employee

Hi

Automatic remeshing is not available through Workbench and hence the fail. You can only get these updates inside Fluent Icing or FENSAP-ICE stand alone products. 

In version, 221, you should be able to run this. It depends on mesh, and trailing edge settings (separate zone), material point placement and zone naming. Kindly check the manual for details on 2.5D remeshing. 

• Shoaib Shah
      Ansys Employee

On the variable error, workbench and stand alone ice3d, if run by itself will not be able to set up the necessary variable. 

In practice, we setup sequence type runs, (multishot_fluent or multifensap) when wanting automatic remeshing. This should fix the env variable problem. Thanks

• Deniz Kepez
      Subscriber

Hello, thanks for the explanation that remeshing with fluent cannot be run through workbench. So from the replies that you sent I understand that we can only use fluent remeshing through multishot(either fluent or fensap) and running multishot-fensap has worked thank you.

• Shoaib Shah
      Ansys Employee

Typically you dont use single shot ice3d runs with automatic remeshing. I think once its setup in multishot you should be able to run it even with stand alone ice3d. 

With single shot ice3d runs, we usually use ALE (displacement alone) especially if the case is 2d and the ice accretion time is less. It should cover your needs to get the ice shape and even the displaced grid.

If you do have complex geoms and need to run longer times, than the suggest multishot framework is the preferred route. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.