General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Figuring out pressure on contact area necessary for contact to stay in-tact?

• mwr55
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I've been using ANSYS Workbench products for about a year but this is my first time coming in contact with "Contacts" in ANSYS Mechanical (no pun intended). The simple question I would like to answer is how much pressure on a contact area is needed to keep a system of components together at a PVC pipe like interface. In other words, at the parts that are "glued" together, how much pressure must the middle fitting supply on the pipe ends to prevent the pipe from sliding out? Likewise, how does the pipe/connection/pipe system react when a pressure is applied from inside the pipes?

Below are screenshots of the system I'm analyzing and the current contact settings which I have set to rough. Might someone point me in the right direction for how to solve for pressures necessary on the contact areas to keep the pipe(s) from sliding out if a force acts to pull the pipe out of the fitting?

Thanks so much and I hope to hear back soon!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nOpen the ANSYS Help System, go to Mechanical APDL, and find he Contact Technology Guide and start reading.nYou will learn that Rough means that if the contact is closed, no sliding is allowed, so you don't want Rough, you want Frictional.nWhy do you need pressure? Why not use adhesive to hold the PVC pipes together? Then you can use Bonded Contact.nIf you use Frictional contact, then the coefficient of friction determines the pressure needed to support the applied axial load.nIf you are applying a purely axial load to pull on the pipe and a pressure to keep the pipe together, that is an axisymmetric problem and you can analyze it more efficiently on a radial slice from the centerline.n
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.