3D Design

3D Design

Filling Volume Error In Design Modeller

• cenkkaya913
      Subscriber

Hi, I am working internal combustion engine cfd analyse and i created geometry. And i am sure my geometry is watertight. I had done my solid bodies (inlet and outlet valves) blank(space-gap)

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

cenkkaya,

I will take a look at your geometry if you create a Workbench Project Archive .wbpz file and Attach it to your post above. Note: Attach file size limit is 120 MB.
      I have had some experience creating the body for air using Fill in DM for IC Engine.

Regards,
      Peter

• cenkkaya913
      Subscriber

Dear Peter ,

Thanks a lot.  I am trying every geometry but i am taking error at my every geometry. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Dear Cenk,

In Gap instead of solid valve, you have three bodies that represent air that has been sliced from the full cylinder. You want the full cylinder. Can you get that?

I suppressed your Fill operations. There is nothing to fill. This geometry is pure air. There are no mechanical parts here.

There is a problem, which is there is no connection between the air behind the valve and the air in the cylinder. The FORTE manual advises you to leave a small gap so those two volumes are connected.

I believe this edge-to-edge connection between the solids is the reason a Fill is not working, but you are trying to fill the air to recover the valve. This is backwards. You already have the valve, just not in the same file.

In the 30 parts file, you have two bodies that are the mechanical bodies of the valves that should represent the empty center in the above file of air. If I export the three solids out of the first file and the two valves out of the second file and put them into the same file, I get this:

Those two files are not sharing the same coordinate system. How did that happen?  That is not good.

Here is my example of using a fill to get the air body inside an engine, and the problems I had.

I suggest you start over with the full cylinder of the solid mechanical parts and edit the position of the valve so there is a gap to the valve seat. Then you can put a Cap solid body on the intake and the outlet and use Fill to generate the air in the engine.

Regards,
      Peter

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.