General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Find Internal Heat generation

• Mustafa Alsayed
      Subscriber

Hallo 
      I do now Hotplate Simulation. I insert Internal Heat generation in outer ring = 2E12 W/m3, which equivalent 1 W and I get maximum temperature 347 K.
      The question is how can I find  internal heat generation rate to obtain a maximum temperature of T = 300 K?

maximum temperature  Internal  Heat generation

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Before you get started, enter a number under the Mesh branch for the Default Element Size so that you get at least 4 elements across the center solid cylinder. The mesh you show is too coarse.

On the Details window for Internal Heat Generation, click the box to the left of the word Magnitude. That will put a P in the box.  On the Details window for the Temperature result, click the box to the left of the word Maximum. That will put a P in the box.  You have now created a Parameter Set with an input and an output.

There are two ways to proceed from this point.

One approach is in Workbench, open the Parameter Set and type several rows of internal heat generation values in the Table of Design Points, then click Update All Design Points and wait for ANSYS to compute the temperatures. Plot the data and see where the curve crosses the 300K level of temperature. You can enter addtional values to the table if you want to get closer to the cross over value. A good guess for a better value is simply 2E12*300/374.

Another approach is in Workbench, Drag Direct Optimization out of the toolbox and drop it under the Parameter Set. You can setup an Optimization to Seek Target and type in 300 as the target and assign a tolerance of say 1. The optimizer will solve the problem multiple times, automatically adjusting the internal heat generation until it finds the value that gives the desired result.

• Mustafa Alsayed
      Subscriber

Thank you very much, it's was very helpful

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.