General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Find the element and material using the element or material ID

• Rana Nasser
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I tried the "M key" method to find the element, but it didn't work. I hit the M key and changed the selection from node to element then pasted the element number (which I had copied from the solver output) and hit select then hit create name selection, but the named selection was created without any selections! Also how can I find a material using material ID too?!

Regards,

Rana

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Rana,

It is possible that the element IDs correspond to contact elements. Can you open the Solver Files Directory, open ds.dat in a text editor and search for that element?

Also, You should be able to search all material assignments in the same file (Search for Material or !Material Id) and see if you can locate it. Then correlate the subsequent material properties (MP or TB commands) with what you have input in Engineering Data.

ds.dat is a list of APDL commands that Mechanical generates which are submitted to the solver. Anything you've created in WB or Mechanical should be captured in there.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Rana Nasser
      Subscriber

!Material Id = {4804616A-2D7E-4189-90D3-DF45C1598400}

/com,*********** Elements for Body 2 "Left Wing wall Solid1" ***********

et,2,185

eblock,19,solid,,908

(19i9)

This is what I found in the ds.dat file after looking for "material" there are many element IDs under each material ID and body name lines, so I can find out which element is this material is assigned for, but I can't identify the material ID itself ( I couldn't define which material is material 21 or 23...)! Could you tell me how to do this, please?

there are also some material Id lines without body name line under it like the following what does this mean?

!Material Id = {3908C06C-3F9C-4106-9E3E-67F8244E2457}

et,3,185

eblock,19,solid,,13432

(19i9) 

Many thanks for your help

Regards,

Rana

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Rana, how many materials for you have in Engineering Data? Look under the MP or TB command for material IDs:

You can always open the input deck in APDL and use selection logic to highlight the elements with a certain material ID.

Regards,
      Sandeep

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.