March 16, 2020 at 9:07 amnewuserdampingratioSubscriber
I am trying to determine the material damping ratio(hysteretic) of a material using ANSYS. I already know its Young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, Shear modulus and its density; and the material is isotropic.
I performed modal analysis on the material of a rectangular cross section(40mmx10mm), length 500mm and fixed at one end(cantilever) and found its first natural frequency.
I came across the half power bandwidth method and hence I tried harmonic analysis by applying a force of 1000N at the free end.
The amplitude goes to infinity(like 1000 meters) near and at the first natural frequency.
How can I determine the structural damping ratio from these values from this harmonic frequency response curve?
March 17, 2020 at 2:06 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
You can't determine the structural damping ratio from an ANSYS structural simulation.
Damping ratio is an input to the model.
You have to find that value experimentally or use the best estimates available in the literature.
Here is a document from the Regulatory Commission.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- Colors and Mesh Display
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.