Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Finite Element Analysis of an ASTM A36 Plate

Tagged: 

• ayodele1
      Subscriber

Dear ANSYS,

I am analyzing a 6mm thickness 1894mm diameter spade for fitness for blind-off service. The material of the spade is ASTM A36 and the load is air pressure @ 1.37bara. The inside diameter of the enclosing circular duct is 1830mm, while the faces "D" of the spade below will be fastened in the flanges of the duct. I created a 30degrees model of the spade and applied displacement (Symmetry) boundary conditions to the cut faces and fixed support to the fastening faces, as shown.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      You created basically the same post here: https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/20636/fea-of-spade-installed-on-an-air-linenIt's best to use a single discussion to ask questions about one problem.nI agree with what wrote in that other discussion, you should model this with shell elements on midsurface geometry. Make sure you use Symmetry correctly.n
    • ayodele1
      Subscriber
      Thank you Peteroznewman;nI do not quite understand the advise to model with shell elements on the midsurface?nAbove is the hexahedral mesh I have at the moment, the skewness is less than 0.5 around the outer parts of the plate but higher at the transition areas i.e. around the center of the plate.nI look forward to your clarification on using shell elements on the midsurface.nAyodele1 n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Open the Geometry in SpaceClaim. Click on the Prepare tab, click on the Midsurface Tool, click twice on your solid body. SpaceClaim will create a surface at the center of the solid body, and set the solid body to Suppress for Physics. When you refresh the Project, the surface body will be sent over with the thickness assigned. When you mesh that, it will be meshed with shell elements.nApply your loads and symmetry regions to the face and the edges of this surface.n
    • ayodele1
      Subscriber
      Thanks a ton!n
    • ayodele1
      Subscriber
      Dear ANSYS,I need clarification as to what pressure I should apply as part of my boundary condition. nThis is a pipe (internal) flow and the plate to be installed normal to the air flow, should I be using gauge pressure or absolute pressure?nThanks in anticipation.nAyodele Adeyemi. n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Gauge pressure seems like the right choice because it is the difference in pressure between one side and the other.n
    • ayodele1
      Subscriber
      Thank you.n
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.