Fluids

Fluids

Floating point exception in cavitating flow over hydrofoil simulation

• adarsh
      Subscriber

Dear all, I am trying to simulate cavitating flow over a hydrofoil on FLUENT. For some reason, I seem to be getting a floating point exception error and the calculation stops. What can be the reason for this? 

I believe I have a good mesh ( average skewness 0.008). The boundary conditions are as follows:

Inlet ( Velocity inlet) velocity magnitude - 7 m/s and angle of attack 8 degrees.

outlet ( pressure outlet) gauge pressure 0 pa.

Also how can we set the cavitation number on fluent? 

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber

Hi, 

Can you give more explanation about the cavitation number? Also please see this tutorial on cavitation:

• adarsh
      Subscriber

The Cavitation number (Ca) is a dimensionless number used in flow calculations. It expresses the relationship between the difference of a local absolute pressure from the vapor pressure and the kinetic energy per volume, and is used to characterize the potential of the flow to cavitate.

It is defined as

{displaystyle mathrm {Ca} ={frac {p-p_{mathrm {v} }}{{frac {1}{2}}rho v^{2}}}}

where

• rho  is the density of the fluid.

• p is the local pressure.

• p_{{mathrm  {v}}} is the vapor pressure of the fluid.

• v is a characteristic velocity of the flow.

So i set the cavitation using the pressure at pressure outlet. So for a range of 1.2 -2 I calculate the p in the above equation and then subtract the atmospheric from it. 

I have already watched the tutorial and modelled my problem on this. I cant seem to generate any lift on the hydrofoil for some reason. and also the drag is very low compared to experimental cases

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.