Fluids

Fluids

fluent closes automatically

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

i am doing an edx course (introduction to engineering simulations), when i was running calculations the solution window closes automatically and does not display the residuals graph nor updates the solution to extract the results.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I opened your archive. I looked at the mesh. Does your mesh look like this?

You don't want a model where there is only one cell in the radial direction.  You need to add a sizing mesh control to set the number of elements in the radial direction, and add a Face Meshing control to keep the surface meshing with rectangular elements.

I forget what the specification for this mesh is, but here is an example of a mesh that has enough elements to give a useful result. Note that the edge sizing uses a bias to put smaller elements near the pipe wall to capture the boundary layer at the top.

I didn't see any named selections in Meshing. You should pick the left edge and name it inlet, pick the bottom edge and name it axis, pick the right edge and name it outlet, pick the top edge and name it wall. That will be used in Fluent. You have to edit the inlet boundary condition in Fluent to define the inlet velocity.

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

yeah i forgot to tell you that the file is not getting saved. i gave two edge mesh and one face mesh. then i also gave named selections. is there a way to upload a video??? cause i have captured a video of it shutting of randomly.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You can upload to YouTube and put the URL link into your reply posted here.

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

sir apologising  for the poor quality.

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

is this an error in the laptop or this is an error in the software. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Fluent shouldn't do that, have you set any calculation activities or solution steering? If you open the solution and plot the residuals has the model done 10(?) iterations?

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

yes it has done 10 iterations. but if i continue the next set of iterations (i.e. next 90) it does not store the values and plots only ten.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Weird, can you post the launcher options. 

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

double precesion, series

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

With no extra journals or other entries? 

Can you run the model outside of Workbench and see if the problem persists? 

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

sir could you please guide me how to do this. i am new to fluent

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Go to C:Program FilesANSYS Incv194fluentntbinwin64 (for 2019R2) and run the fluent application. You'll need to read in the case, this can be exported from the WorkBench session and saved somewhere easily found. 

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

sir, thanks a lot. By running the fluent module separately (out of the work bench) by importing the case files it worked successfully. there were no problems by running it this way but the problem still is the same when i run it in workbench.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.