Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Fluent: “cx1920.exe doesn’t work anymore”

• AndreaGaggi16
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I have recently installed ANSYS Student and I'm trying to use Fluent. When I open the Setup and then Materials-Create/Edit a window opens which says "cx1920.exe doesn't work anymore". I have searched for the file in the ANSYS folder on my computer (ANSYS IncANSYS Studentv192fluentfluent19.2.0cortexwin64) and tried to open it.
      Then a window opens which says "The program can't be started because hoops2300_x64_v140.dll is missing on the computer. Please install the program again to solve the problem."
      So I have to deinstall and reinstall the whole ANSYS Student program again?
      I hope there is someone who can help me!

Thank you,
      Andrea

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrea,

Don't directly run that cx1920.exe . It's not used that way.

Can you try running a stand-alone Fluent and see if you get the same issue (cx1920.exe crash) ?

Is this 'Materials-Create/Edit' the only functionality that will make you see the crash ? Have you tried other functionalities in Fluent, like create 'report' in the solution, or some others ? Do you see the same issue ?

It could also be an issue with graphics card. What is the graphics card on the machine ? Make sure that you have latest driver installed.

Another potential cause of the issue would be security, Firewall, or anti-virus software. Just for a test, try turning everything off and see if it helps with the issue.

Thanks,

Win

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Very important to mention that the new ANSYS FLUENT releases are graphically demanding. Saying that you need an driver updated professional dedicated graphic card.
    • AndreaGaggi16
      Subscriber

Thanks a lot for your help!
      It doesn't make sense to me but if I create a geometry and mesh in the workbench first, the error doesn't occur anymore. 
      Previously I just wanted to look up which data I need for my materials before starting to create the geometry, but as it seems it is not possible to look something up in the material database before you have a geometry and a mesh... At least it works now as I have created a dummy geometry to be able to look into the materials library.

Thank you again for your help!

Andrea

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

I consulted with an CFD support engineer. Normally, you should be able to do it without geometry/mesh. This seems to be an issue unique to your systems. However, your workaround is very good. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks,

Win

• George
      Subscriber

Hi,

In order to over come error cx1920, when running ANSYS R2 or R3, you must update your graphic card. First of all you must check your graphic card model, in order to check following steps:

1- open start menu and in search bar press Win button+R

2- In Run window type "dxdiag"

3- in Directx Diagnostic Tools go to display menu and look at graphic card name and manufacturer company (most probably it should be NVIDIA)

4- In internet browser (google chrome or internet explorer....) type "geforce.com or nvidia.com"

5- In the website click on Drivers and then click on Automatic Driver Update

6- After downloading installer, run it and register by your any email address

7- Close all your running programs and apps and then let the NVIDIA search and detect your graphic card

8- let the software update your graphic card

9- Open ANSYS and enjoy... 

Hi everyone,

I have recently installed ANSYS Student and I'm trying to use Fluent. When I open the Setup and then Materials-Create/Edit a window opens which says "cx1920.exe doesn't work anymore". I have searched for the file in the ANSYS folder on my computer (ANSYS IncANSYS Studentv192fluentfluent19.2.0cortexwin64) and tried to open it.
      Then a window opens which says "The program can't be started because hoops2300_x64_v140.dll is missing on the computer. Please install the program again to solve the problem."
      So I have to deinstall and reinstall the whole ANSYS Student program again?
      I hope there is someone who can help me!

Thank you,
      Andrea

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.