Fluids

Fluids

Fluent DEM Model – Hertzian-dashpot Model: Why there are two Young’s modulus to define?

• mashimaro_star
      Subscriber

When using Hertzian-dashpot model, I see there are Young's Modulus 1 and Young's Modulus 2 that I need to fill in. Howeve, I am not sure why there are two Young's modulus, since I am definiting paritlcle-particle interactions with the same materials for both particles. Can anybody help to explain this?

Thank you.

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello, nBecause this model is based on Hertzian Collision law, which uses two Young's Modulii, E1 and E2. If you are looking for additional info on this, please look into the Fluent Theory guide. Here is the link (16.15.1.3. The Hertzian Collision Law)nKarthikn
    • mashimaro_star
      Subscriber
      Hi Kremella,nThank you for your reply. Does this mean if I define collisions between two identical particles, E1 should be equal to E2? Thank you very much. n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nMy guess would be: yes. I'd also check this reference to see if this is consistent.n[218] H. Hertz. ??ber die Ber?hrung fester elastischer K?rper?. Journal f?r die reine und angewandte Mathematik. 92. 156-171. 1881.nKarthikn
    • mashimaro_star
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much! n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      You're welcome!n
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.