Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Fluent Fault-tolerant Meshing doesn’t finish Workflow

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

ANSYS 2019 R1

After successfully generating a very simple Fault-tolerant mesh on some very simple geometry, I am now trying to apply it to more complex geometry.

I click the Compute Size Fields button at the bottom and it seems to complete, but the item in the Workflow never advances to a green check mark and so the workflow has stalled.

The console output looks like this...

I right mouse button on the Compute Size Field(s) in the outline and select Update, and the same messages repeat in the Console, but still it does not go green check mark.

ANSYS 2019 R2

I made a copy of the geometry and started over in 2019 R2.  I got further, and the workflow is a little different and the units are now in mm.

Under Describe Geometry and Flow, I selected Internal Flow and answered Yes to Would you like to create large caps.  I see there is a mesh outside the region of interest, which is the small block at the bottom.  This mesh was generated in the Generate the Surface Mesh step.

The console ended with these error messages:

But in the Update Region Settings section, I selected surface mesh as the Extraction Method, so why does the error refer to a wrapper?

Please advise.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The dirty workflow is still being worked on, so it may be working better in R3.  If you are using that approach I think it still uses the wrapper somewhere to seal the volume. If you leave the workflow and look in the tree can you see any issues? 

As an aside, I assume you're using Fluent Meshing in standalone mode? It's not really designed for use within Workbench so that can also cause a few issues at present. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I understand it is still a Beta feature, so I'm not surprised to find some issues, but that is how the next release is improved!

I start Fluent from Workbench, and the limitation I am aware of is that I have to import the geometry from a file, which I do. Once Fluent launches, isn't it behaving the same as a "stand alone" instance?  I can try it both ways and see if there is a difference.

[EDIT: found a mistake in the video. I also figured out how to run the Student license "stand alone" see down further]

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

There are some subtleties in Workbench: I tend to use Fluent standalone for all Fluent Meshing.  Hmm, not sure: I'll try and have a look on Monday. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Okay, I ran Fluent standalone, and I recognized a mistake I made in the first try. I didn't set the regions to void when I initially created the pipe and valve regions. When I did that, I got a complete workflow.

I'm not claiming this is a good mesh, I just wanted to get a clean run through the workflow.

Note that the Student installation does not put Fluent in the start menu.  I have to run this command at a command line to start a standalone version.

"C:Program FilesANSYS IncANSYS Studentv194fluentntbinwin64fluent.exe" -r19.4.0 -shortcut

Here is the clean run.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Looks good. A bit more refinement and time should reduce the amount the valve gets chewed up, and inlet/outlet shouldn't get inflation (not watched the whole video so not sure why it did). Please can you add this to the Tutorials section?  

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Okay, I got a good mesh around the top of the valve in the Tutorial video.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.